Sunday, June 29, 2008

GRAB BAR INSTALLATION - INSPECTION OF LOCATION PRIOR TO INSTALLATION

The first objective step I take prior to the installation of grab bars is the assessment of the premises in which the grab bars will be installed. While I enter the home I observe the outside of the home to assess the mode of construction. Do the exterior walls to consist of wood framing, cinder block or poured concrete (the latter two in conjunction with wood furring)?
I try to assess to the age of the home and the condition of the home so I can better learn what to expect. As I enter the rooms or locations where the safety bars will be installed, I make a mental note of what is located immediately on the other side of the walls which I will be working on. I look for fragile objects on shelves, picture frames and other objects that can be easily dislodged with only minor vibration. I also look for the locations of water heaters, air conditioning units, electrical panels, etc. In some cases I will not install if these walls pose to much risk. I visually inspect the wall conditions and the integrity of the tile prior to commiting to install. I usually avoid walls containing tiles that are loose or rattle when lightly tapped with my fingers. I inspect the condition of the grout and the nature of the tile itself to assess the difficulty I might encounter when attempting to drill through it. Porcelain tile or Granite will require considerably more work and a different method of drilling than what I would normally use on softer ceramic tile.

No comments: