Monday, November 7, 2011

Grab Bar Installation - Marking Up Prior To Drilling

Once grab bar placement has been considered and an installation location has been decided upon and reconfirmed with client, one must mark up the hole locations prior to drilling. I usually select at least 3 or more potential drill holes on each of the grab bar depending upon on the style of grab bar flange. I do not necessarily drill each of these potential hole locations but I prefer to have these additional holes marked in case I am forced to select a different hole location midstream due to various situations or conditions which may arise during the grab bar installation process.

After placing the grab bar against the wall in the desired location I use a thin pencil very lightly when marking up on drywall and a dry erase marker when marking up on glossy non absorbent tile. Certain tiles that I feel may be absorbent or highly porous require the use of a fine pencil for marking. When marking up a grab bar on a black or darkly colored tile I prefer to prep the area with drywall tape prior to marking  so that I can easily identify my marks prior to drilling. I occasionally choose to use drywall tape on drywall if I feel the pencil marks may be difficult to erase.

Removing marks with a dry paper towel is quite simple when working on glossy tile. It is important to wipe away from the grout lines to prevent staining of the grout with the residue of the dry erase marker. On drywall, providing the pencil marking has been made as lightly as possible, the markings can be easily removed with a quality drafting style eraser.

Visit Mr. Grab Bar for a wide selection of grab bars and bathroom accessories. Mr. Grab Bar specializes in incredibly quick delivery and express shipping on most Moen grab bar and bath accessory products.

No comments: